Lighter Avocado Chicken SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 large chicken breast (about 2 cups shredded)
- garlic powder, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 small avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoon plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion, any kind
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 1 rib)
- Heat oven to 350F. Season chicken breast with garlic powder and pepper. Place in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 165F. Remove chicken and let cool before shredding.
- In a large bowl, smash avocado. Stir in yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in chicken, onion and celery. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
Dress up your avocado chicken salad with cilantro, cumin, and diced jalapeno for a Southwest flavor.
For a dairy-free version, omit the yogurt and swap in more avocado (about the equal amount).
Cooking and Serving Tips
Save a step (and time) by making this recipe with leftover cooked chicken. You can make this recipe to have on hand for lunches all week long. It tastes great rolled in a whole wheat tortilla, on a sliced of toasted whole wheat bread, or on top of a fresh green salad.